Assist in the development, implementation and management of the agreed Portfolio and particularly the internally managed Credit Portfolio. Build knowledge and capability across the investments function in order to support the wider team in the monitoring of external Credit investment mandates in addition to carrying out other investment administration activities as directed for Executive Committee, Investment Committee and Board meetings.
Take responsibility for internal processes and procedures in relation in investment monitoring, including: Ensuring manager monitoring meetings are scheduled, attended and written up; building and stress testing appropriate internal financial models to monitor performance; and preparing appropriate management reports to facilitate performance monitoring and decision making forums.
- Actively assist in the development, implementation, on-going monitoring and improvement of the internally managed Credit strategy in accordance to Investment Strategy Statements, Asset Class mandates, LGPS Regulations and other relevant regulatory frameworks ensuring that all investments meet the level of expected performance.
- Working with colleagues, contribute to LPPI’s stated objectives to close clients’ funding deficit within agreed time frames by optimising the performance characteristics of the Credit portfolio and assist the Credit Investment team in ensuring that LPPI’s investments are:
- Consistent with the Fund’s investment aims/expected returns and within acceptable risks;
- Managed by ‘best of breed’ managers - contributing to manager selection processes whilst monitoring and reviewing existing managers against their respective performance metrics;
- Placed within appropriate funds which match the LPPI’s investment profile and cash flow requirements;
- Providing value for money by managing the fund’s expense ratio efficiently; and
- Improving the fund managers’ accountability and asset transparency.
- Support the wider team as required in all aspects of investment research, execution, manager & performance monitoring and reporting, administrative and operational activities as directed.
- To monitor the internally managed Credit portfolio as directed by the Investment Director, Credit and other senior staff.
- To build, develop and maintain internal financial models for all direct Credit holdings and other strategy monitoring models as directed.
- To analyse company accounts and financial statements as necessary, ensuring all holdings are appropriately stress tested in line with LPPI requirements.
- To prepare and implement administrative, reporting, record maintenance and other necessary systems or tools to ensure professional management of the Credit Portfolio.
- To contribute to the due diligence process and prepare the appropriate accurate documentation to facilitate IC members’ decision making.
- To assist the wider team in the monitoring of external Credit portfolio managers.
- To provide all necessary accounting and administration information to the Operations and Finance Team as directed in order to aid the preparation of annual accounts and internal committee reporting.
- To support liaison for all internal and external auditing matters arising in relation to the Credit Portfolio.
- To contribute to the quarterly and annual Credit Portfolio reporting process and other reports as required and/or directed by senior team members.
- To continually develop knowledge and skill in the professional investments arena by maintaining up to date information in relation to market developments and regulatory changes, through the attendance of external seminars and other professional courses as approved by the Investment Director.
- Actively support LPP’s equality programme, both internally and externally, along with all other corporate policy initiatives, as directed
The post holder will demonstrate:
- Degree level educated ideally gained within a business, finance, maths/statistics and/or investment related discipline.
- Post-graduate qualification in accounting or finance would be desirable.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment towards developing knowledge and skills through new initiatives whilst identifying suitable learning opportunities.
- Ideally, a period of experience in investment or financial analysis gained within a relevant organisation.
- Capability to develop and follow an investment process based on the Investment Strategy Statement and demonstrable conformance therewith.
- Knowledge and skills to build, preferably unassisted, appropriate financial models using Excel to support the due diligence process.
- Demonstrable ability to understand and develop Credit valuation and risk assessment techniques.
- Effective communication skills including the ability to influence and build good working relationships at all levels both internally and externally.
- The ability to build positive and productive working relationships with fund managers and other external partners as required.
- Good level of numerical, analytical and report writing skills including a working knowledge of MS office tools to assist in the communication of key messages and to facilitate discussions and decision making.
- Ability to build professional network and seek business opportunities within respective asset classes.
- A proactive, self-motivated team player who can manage a high personal workload with multiple deadlines.
- An understanding of the breadth of the diversity agenda including embedding good practice and an understanding of LPP’s commitment to combating discrimination and promoting equality of opportunity.
Reasonable adjustment will be made to working arrangements to accommodate a person with a disability who otherwise would be prevented from undertaking the work.