Senior Java Developer - London, Ropemaker Place
We are an established development team, looking to grow. We focus on providing an excellent developer experience. To that end, you'll have access to market-leading tools, services and access to expertise both within the team and more widely in IHS Markit. We have a strong DevOps culture, and have automated every stage of our deployment pipeline.
As a Software Engineer, you will create and maintain high-quality cloud-based applications to help IHS Markit's Private Equity business grow. You will be working with a team of experienced application/web developers (in multiple global locations), business analysts and business stakeholders.
Day to day, you will contribute to current and future development efforts towards various modules of IHS Markit Private Equity solutions. You will have access to market-leading tools and services and be part of a wider group that values technical excellence.
ISH Markit Private Equity offers a range of services for investors in alternative and hard to value assets:
- PE Valuations - Detailed unlisted equity and illiquid debt valuations for PE funds
- Level 3 Valuations - Hard to value instruments for buy-side firms
- Suspended Shares - Share valuation in cases of market volatility, fraud, M&A or reorganisation for asset managers and ETF issuers
- Credit Assessments - Credit assessments to support internal ratings-based credit risk approaches for banks or corporates
Duties & accountabilities
- Must work effectively with a diverse team spread across globe
- Strong analytical, investigative and problem-solving skills
- Proactive, organised and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations
- Delivery focused
Education and experience
- Work closely with the development team and highlight issues and risks proactively.
- Be delivery focused. Participate in agile product development through all SDLC phases.
- Analyse business requirements, design, implement and test features. Understand non-functional requirements like performance, scalability etc. aspect of the application.
- Be an active player in system architecture and design discussions. Have a passion for technology and offer new ideas and approaches. Recommend product, process, and tooling improvements.
- Build high-quality, reusable code and libraries for future use in a timely and efficient manner.
- Embrace quality standards including code conventions, code reviews, unit testing, static analysis and revision control. Coordinate with QA/QC staff for product functional and system testing.
- Maintain and support all areas of the application.
- Work in an individual capacity as well as in teams across geographies.
- Thorough understanding of agile software development methodology and industry best practices.
- Thorough understanding of fundamental software engineering and computer science principles: object-oriented design, functional programming, structured design, databases, algorithms, data structures, usability, refactoring, debugging, and configuration management.
- Excellent design and problem solving skills and disciplined, engineering oriented mind set.
- Minimum 3 years of experience developing commercial web applications or services used by external customers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- AWS Lambda and Serverless Architecture
- AWS managed services, Linux, Docker
- Scala (or other functional programming experience)
- Angular JS 8+
- Other JVM languages
- Experience with Continuous Integration and build systems
- Git + Gitlab
- Good degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Some experience with configuration languages (CloudFormation, Terraform, etc.)
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Statement Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.