Senior Software Engineer - Portfolio Analytics
Bloomberg Portfolio Analytics (PORT) empowers the most prominent players in the financial world to manage their portfolios, assess exposures, and make decisions that move the markets. Our flagship product on the Bloomberg Professional service is a critical tool used daily by money managers, mutual funds, hedge funds, and pension funds around the world. PORT provides industry-leading quantitative financial tools and overnight batch report generation.
Our team focuses on the growing Portfolio Tickerization product. Tickerization allows Bloomberg clients to convert any portfolio into a ticker and use it anywhere as a security, including creation of portfolio hierarchies and exposing portfolio analytics data for enterprise clients. We are doing large improvements to Tickerization core infrastructure and developing multiple new components in Python. You will get to shape new parts of the system with complex scale and reliability requirements and work with variety of technologies - application services are in Python, C++ and Lua with PostgreSQL database. We care about our development experience and use docker-compose for consistent local development and CI. Who are you?
An experienced developer with interest in distributed systems who enjoy working closely with business, clients and loves the challenge of transforming the current system! We'll trust you to:
You will need to have:
- Take ownership of the full development cycle and collaborate with the team on design and implementation of new parts of Tickerization
- Partner with clients and other developers to design, build and roll-out solutions that will optimize complex workflows
- Explore new technologies both within and outside of Bloomberg to see if any of them can help make our products run faster, increase stability, etc.
- Embrace working together as a team - mentoring and learning from their existing teammates to break knowledge silos and ensure that our team is producing reliable, well documented and well understood products for our clients
We'd love to see:
- Proven experience in Python or C++
- Experience covering the full software development life cycle
- Interest in working in an application facing team- Understanding of distributed systems challenges e.g. prioritization, throttling, failure recovery
- Pragmatic problem-solving skills
- Interest in understanding our products and processes
- Experience in large distributed systems
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/engineering-experienced-hire-application-process/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.